Sunday, January 13, 2008

Becoming reality

All of the facts are quickly forming, and surgery is in three sleeps. Everything is becoming a milestone to me. Like, this is the last time that I am going to celebrate the 13th of January with this face. Just a thought.

We had our first pre-op today. We were picked up by our Nunatsiavut driver, Faye (who wears Vans slip-ons), then carried on to the doctor's office on Newfoundland Drive. We talked with Dr. Bourget's assistant... but I don't know her name. She is very cha-cha and definitely has a few Louis Vuitton purses in her possession. She explained what I should expect, which was also given in my "bible." I won't feel pain, but instead, uncomfort. I will be numb and swollen up (this is where she actually blew her cheeks up similar to what my dad naturally has).

Once Dr. Bourget came back from his lunch, he showed us models of my moldings. It was clearly sawed apart and glued back together with some sort of handy glue. He is going to make three incisions on the top... and "simply" move the bottom jaw back and to the centre. He said that it's going to take about two hours, and Dr. Jackman apparently prepared me well for the procedure.

I'd like to think so... since I was supposed to get this surgery in May of 2006. (This is January of 2008).
I was supposed to get a medical sort-of-thing before I came here, to fill out a sheet that is labelled "Same day admission surgery"... which we kind of forgot about. Thinking about it, it would have been pretty much impossible to get it done at the hospital in Goose Bay. In order to get an appointment there, you have to be nearly dying... and even if you are nearly dead, they would just prescribe you some ibuprofen and rest. Sadly, I don't have a family doctor that would fall under the title as the "Ford Family Doctor, MD"... which leads to my next point.

This form is apparently crucial, which does not make sense, because it only asks someone to tick off all of the chronic diseases that I do not have, etc, then sign the bottom. So, we go to the clinic downstairs, because the doctors would not have a problem doing a quick medical with me.

We talked to the receptionist. "Well, we already have 15000 patients, and we are not accepting more. The doctor kind of got disgruntled with me for even asking to do the medical... plus she doesn't even know you guys, so how does she know that you are telling the truth?"

I gave her this look for two reasons:
A) most people are intimidated by heavy duty metal; and
B) she just might feel some pity for the jaw problems that are clearly depicted in my "growl" face.



It's safe to say that I don't have a doctor that would know about my family history. Anyone could lie about anything, so I am not sure about how personal this doctor's relationships are with her patients.

Besides making personal attacks on the clinic girlz, we managed to do some shopping. Out of everything that we managed to buy... I am most excited about a few beneficial purchases.





I am thinking that the idea of having a brightly-colored assortment of dishes will be motivating for my liquid diet. The straws are attached, so I am not sure about what more I could possibly want!

But, the most functional is definitely this one...


It's spill proof! This feature is especially cool in case I become an alcoholic. The best part about it all is that everything was like $0.97 each!
overandout.
-CHELSEA!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such a dork! I absolutely love you cups and bowls though! Amazingly fashinable! haha. I miss you and we HAVE to do a Midway...or maybe Jungle Jims if its open, once you are back on solids!
Love you!
Good Luck!
Colleen:D

Unknown said...

You are such a comic. So like your dad.!!
As a matter of fact we both read your blog together....

Thanks for letting me know about this blog and I will surely check you out everyday in hopes for your speedy recovery!
Loves ya!!
Heather