Saturday, January 12, 2008

Prelude to my bimaxillary osteotomy

I figured that it'd be the best approach to try and let everyone know what is happening to me, and to try and cut down on the surprise once you see me again. So, hey!

I am in St. John's. Actually, I am at the Guv'nor Inn... with my mother, and her friend "Giz." Giz is here for some other appointments at the Health Science Centre, so... we decided to stay in the same area of this rinky-dink hotel. They put us out in the "courtyard" section of the hotel first... meaning the dark alley behind the hotel that isn't even connected to the hotel. We went back there and were greeted a charming, "HEY LADIES," by a bunch of Newfie gangsters, with their decked-out Cadillac. Perhaps they were Gazeebow Unit. They moved us, so now I am comfortly in the upstairs version of the exact same room. This will due until surgery day.

So, my first pre-op is tomorrow. I get to be informed of the procedure... and possibly grossed out. I watched this really cool video on youtube. It pretty well shows what I think I will be going through.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TwcwYWAkggY.



I am still trying to embrace the idea that I can still open my mouth. Some things are easily taken for granted... and I am trying to stay away from taking advantage of my mouth-opening capacity.

I know that Dr. Bourget, my surgeon, (
http://www.drbourget.com/) did impressions and pans, etc., so he can do a mock-surgery beforehand. I guess it's pretty precise stuff. He said that my lower jaw is to be aligned, since I have an asymmetry that cannot be fixed with braces. My lower jaw is not ratio to my upper jaw, so it can be fixed by bringing the lower jaw back a little. My upper jaw needs to be widened... which means the usage of plates and screws in the area between my nose and front teeth.

Oh, and I need to get my four wisdom teeth out too.

I don't know how I am going to feel and what I am going to do with myself. I know that my surgery is on Wednesday, and anything beyond that will have to be improv. I don't know what to expect... and especially how I am going to look. This is like... the most life-sculpting thing that I have ever done and there is nothing that can precisely tell me what is going to happen. That is what scares me... and the only thing that scares me. Yet.

I know that I have a bunch of people who are going to be there whenever I need them... like for recipe ideas, and to possibly translate my lack of speaking and hand gestures into something communicable. I know that I am off of school for awhile, and work too... which is probably the best thing that this entire situation has to offer. I am going to be blackened and bruised, something that society probably does not need to experience. That'd lead to some very interesting Social Service phone calls.

I guess this marks the beginning to the end of this face. Just savor the photos that you have of it... and be open to what just might come out of this. Haha. I will try and update you with as much as I can... without giving you enough details to make you feel as if you were scrubbing in.

-CHELSEA
(I cannot believe that I am changing my bone structure. This is a biggggggggg thing.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Chelsea :) Always here in Spirit!I know you will do great. You will always be beautiful! Surgery has finally arrived and before you know it everything will be back to normal and you will be counting down the days to get your braces removed :) Lots of love! Keep updated :)

Anonymous said...

Chelsea Nerd Ford :). All I can say this is pretty intense and is "Jawbreaking News". I know that you will be okay, and it'll all go well. You know how you don't want people to come visit, but I would be a bad friend if I didn't when you come back home. I won't freak you out with a surprising "OMG!" like you think people would. Maybe I'll try & look for a good recipe to go along with the others that will be helpful to you. I love you Chels..ea!
GOOD LUCK!
-Gingeyy. =]

Amy Norman said...

gurl.

I'm glad you're doing this.
The blog I mean. hah.

So, for pre-op, if it's on Newfoundland Drive, expect a nice long wait that leads to about a five minute chat with Bob Saget. That seemed to me like the same chat he gave when I met him in Corner Brook.

Then the next pre-op is just bloodwork. Nothing fun. Well, peeing in a cup, if you call that fun.
The next pre-op for me was the damn haematologist, so I have no clue what's in store for you after that.

:)

ps. I couldn't pick up wireless in the hospital.

Anonymous said...

Well Chelsea! I can certainly say its already been lonely at work without you! Hahahha. I have nothing else really to say, because if I say what I want to, its already been said many times! And it would be quite boring to read.

Hows some of the fast food, like East Side Marios?!

Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for stealing yr thunder the day before you left, but yr not allowed to be the only one with a hospital visit.

You might get a big head.

Vix.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis:-) how are feeling???
what a cool idea to do this blog!!!!!
I could try to make you feel better & say that ur lucky because you get to miss school......BUT your a strange chick & like school!!!!!!!!!!!! WHATEVER!!!!

Let me know how ur doin & keep da pic's comin!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO I WIN!!!!!!!!!

Lots of love:-)

Unknown said...

Hiya Chelsea,

It seems you and I will be in surgery together... hmmm nope, I mean at the same time... hmmm in different cities at that too. Totally different procedures at that too. Anyway... I pray for your speedy painless recovery and I pray for your mom not to be such a nervous wreck...ha ha cause we ALL know how SHE can be.... (Just some light humour here Char....)
Anyway, I think your beautiful inside as well as outside.
(Did that make sense?!!!!)
Oh, and please, don't forget to share your recipes!!!
Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Chelsea! How are you doing? Hopefully well :P I misses you already in writing class and at work. I cant wait to see you again, you'll be beautiful just like you always was!

Anonymous said...

i am getting the same procedure done now, lower jaw correction aswell as fixing the ration between top and bottom, then the 4 wisdom teeth as something extra, hope all was well