Sunday, January 20, 2008

Here I am

It's been a while and I feel that I can actually do this now. It isn't a hard task, I just now that I haven't updated since Tuesday... which means that I have a lot to tell.

First thing, I survived. We went in at about 8am. I just did some questions with the nurse, and I was given scrubs. They were hot, I must say. I decided to tie the waistband, just for the minimized waistline, and highly defined hourglass look. Afterwards, I just chilled in the "surgery daycare" until after 10 sometime, which was when my surgery took place.


I went into the pre-op room, where the walls were plastered with findings of some surgeons over the years. There were huge frames of all of thes weird things, like coins, hooks, and Barbie toys... all found within kids. It was weird, but definitely something to calm you down before going in. I talked to Dr. Harris, who was my anesthesiologist. She just asked me questions and told me what she was going to do.

Then, I got carted in.

The room was extremely bright and just like what you'd see on any medical drama. There was a guy prepping me and I asked him about the music. I went in and they were playing "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zepplin. It was just funny because it's like... my dad's song, and the idea of heaven in the OR probably isn't something that you'd laugh about. So, we laughed... together.

Then they said that I was going to start to get blurry vision... and, and, and...

I woke up in the recovery room, I think.

Then I woke up in ICU. Apparently, I was bleeding a lot through my nose and my mouth, so I need to be watched. I just remember being asked if I was feeling any pain. I wasn't, and I haven't been at all. I am pretty sure that I was stoned, and I am pretty sure that I kinda am right now. I remember waking up every hour and looking at the time... and I remember nurses looking at me and asking if I was okay. I remember choking on my blood and making my mom walk away from me because she was freaked out. I remember asking to pee a lot. I remember ice. I remember drooling, too much.

I chilled in the ICU for Wednesday night... I watched Shrek the Third... and drank about 50ml of apple juice. I moved to the fourth floor on the Thursday. I can't really remember much. I watched Seinfeld and got to shower. I laughed at the idea that they gave me really watered-down Cream of Wheat for breakfast on Friday. I didn't drink it.


On Friday, we moved to the hostel. It's like a hotel in the hospital... and I had to go to an appointment on Newfoundland Drive with Judy, Dr. Bourget's nurse. She gave me some prescriptions and I got to go out in public! What more could someone ask for? I sat in the lobby and fell asleep. I went to Shopper's Drug Mart... and fell asleep. I went back to the hostel, and slept. A lot.

Over the days, I managed to collect plenty of teddybears and liquids, even though I wouldn't drink much. I have a lot of fluffy things... which hung out with me during my state of drooling in utopia.
My dad came out on Friday night for some work and to visit. We met at the hostel... where we realized that I now have his cheeks. The only thing is that his are permanent and mine are considered "temporary."


They gave me a lot of medicine. I have some codeine, anti-inflammatories, mouth washes... and sinus relief. I do not feel any pain whatsoever, not even hunger pains! The only thing that I can feel is pressure, and that only happens when I do certain things. I can't bend down or I can feel all of my blood rush to my head. Actually, I feel like my head is like 50lbs. I have spit build-up all of the time... but it actually is not as bad as what is seems to be.

I flew home on Saturday, on a regular Air Labrador flight. Dad got the entire back row for us, to kind of sway away from the embarrassment of having such a huge head. I was knocked out with codeine, so I slept the entire way. Let's just say that my IDs were pointless. I do not look like the registered Chelsea Ford of my driver's license. Everything is so funny to me.
Of course, my lovely Aunt Shell pleased me with her creative love.


I am bruised up a lot and I woke up this morning with my eyes blackened and swollen shut... but nothing is painful because it just feels like my dentist went nutz with his needles before a root canal. It's all deadened and I can't feel my face whatsoever. My bruises are green, so I kinda feel like Shrek, or even a godforsaken frog. I haven't really been drinking much... because I am not hungry... but I am getting better with it. I have already lost weight.
So, this is how I look right now. I even did my hair for you!



And, this is how I look while I am trying to build up the courage to take medicine. It's about an hour process.

The most frustrating and beautiful thing (at the same time) is the idea of blending. Mom invested in this really cool blender with eighteen speeds... but I have already ran out of ideas. My fridge is full of a lot of shakes and juices, but I can never think of anything that is salty... and a liquid. If you know me, I'd love to be able to plunge into Pizza Delight, grab a huge pizza, add extra sauce, and blend it. But, I can't do the food-mixing thing. So, I strained cream of chicken soup tonight, and I am already sick of it.

BUT, I did get this great recipe from my surgeon. I blended a Jos Louis, two scoops of icecream, a chocolate pudding, and half of a cup of milk and got the biggest sugar rush ever. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to run a marathon! You could be the next Lance Armstrong or something...

So, there it is. I am done surgery and I have an appointment in Corner Brook on the 1st of February. I am not sure about when I will be going back to school, or work, or... anything. I have no idea of how I am going to look... I was just assured that my swelling WILL go down, and my skin has not turned permanently green. It's actually stretched to its capacity... and when I smile, it has stretch lines. Imagine stretch marks on your face! haha.

I'd kill myself.

LOVExo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Chelsea! I didn't think you would swell that much! I guess you've adapted the name of a chipmunk. ha ha ha.

So,I see I was right! Teddy bears and such.

well, it is good to know that you are not having pain and all that jazz.

Can't wait to see you in real life!

love

Martina.

Anonymous said...

hey chelsea.
yeah, the pictures are chipmunk-ish, but i was a chipmunk once and couldn't feel my face...except i was in a whole lot of pain and threw my guts up. i wasn't as nearly as bruised and it wasn't something like getting my jaw broken, but the best thing is, it's only temporary. it's amazing how you look so different than before. crazy.

well, get well and it's good there is no pain.

loveee you, xoxo.
-gingeyy.

Anonymous said...

Chelsea, I must say you look wonderful! It's great that you are back and well on your way to recovery. We look forward to seeing more pictures and reading more updates soon. Now, I must go and make myself a Jos Louis shake!

Take Care

Unknown said...

Hey hun,
See, don't you that surgury wasn't that bad. Waking up in ICU with a tube down your throat kinda freaks you out, but hen they tell you where you are and you see your mom, your all like "whatever, get the fucking tube out and I"ll be fine" ha haha. I remember trying to pull the tube out and they kept getting mad. The nurse sat Right beside my bed instead of at the foot because when she didn't look, I'd try to pull it out. I have skill like that. HAHA!
Love you
See you ...soon?
Colleen

Danielle-xx said...

okay sooo, crazy. Im glad you're not in pain, you're brave ma dear, and Im glad you have a positive outlook on it, If It was me getting the surgery I would have made like a super emo blog and complained about the fact that I can't talk or something haha, well I guess thats the difference between me and you.. your brave and Im not! .. take care! xx

Unknown said...

OMG Chelsea! What an inspiration you are!!!
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry reading your blog and the photo's!
I'm just so glad you don't feel any pain!
Hey, school is closed for all grades today!!
Hmmm... I just wish work would shut down too ya know??!!

Lots of hugs!!

Heather